Sunday, November 15, 2009

medicinal teas

I've been feeling a bit run down lately, and am not a fan of most western medicine. I fully believe that the plants and substances in nature and in our own bodies are more than sufficient to heal us and keep us healthy if we trust in them.

I'd been doing a reading lately, and decided upon a couple of herbs I think will be really helpful in bringing my body back into balance. Portland has a couple of really accessible herb shops nearby to where I live. It is really easy (and cheap!) to purchase loose dried herbs, and I set out to make some simple teas. Herbal tea is really just plant parts steeped in hot water.

Here I used Nettles and Feverfew.

I have had constant migraines since I was about eight, and have tried many alternative and western “cures”. What has really helped is cutting out wheat and dairy from my diet, but I still get a startling number of headaches and Feverfew is supposed to be wonderful for preventing migraines if taken daily. At this point, I am willing to give just about anything a try. :) Feverfew is also really great for helping to regulate painful or intense menstruation.

Now, Nettles are pretty much a tonic for all ails; at least I see them in this light. Nettles are high in many essentials like iron, magnesium, calcium, vitamin D and potassium. These are often lacking in a person's diet who has migraines. Nettles are blood and lymph purifiers, are great as a digestive aid, and often help to clear up seasonal allergies, among many other things.

I plan to drink this tea at least twice a day for the next month or so, and we'll see how it goes! Next, I'd really like to make some Feverfew tincture, as this can be a migraine abortive.


2 comments:

  1. I love natural cures also! I hardly ever drink tea, I love coffee and soda (coke). I really plan on drinking more tea this year as my new year's resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should make tea out of bristles and blackberries and thistlerose
    if you did, my running away to live with the faeries in the greenbelt might just be waylaid.

    ReplyDelete