Friday, June 4, 2010

just in time for summer

I just got a copy of the new Wendy Mullin book Built By Wendy Dresses at Powells. I am not usually one to buy this kind of sewing dress but....I was at Cool Cottons the other day to get a couple zippers, and saw a finished sample from the book (project #8) that called my name! They are teaching a class later in the month for any Portland folks who are interested.

The book includes three basic sloper patterns for different dress types, then includes instructions on how to make alterations to the slopers for twenty-five variations. Although I already have some knowledge about pattern-making and -alteration, its really nice to have a book that lays it all out in such fun, modern projects. Much more accessible than a Vogue Sewing book from the '70s!
I am sick of most of my dresses not fitting, and am craving some new fun summer dresses, so this book was just in time. I have a lot of other projects to get to this weekend, but I am excited to fully read through this book and alter the slopers to fit my measurements!

2 comments:

  1. come to austin and i will sit with you and pretend to assist you while you sew some of these for you and (mostly) me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. man, liz, you know whats sad? that my summer and fall have been SO BUSY that i never got to sew one from the book!!! embarrassing! well, i did alter some of the patterns, so maybe soon i'll find time. sometime we should talk about your sizing and maybe a dress will eventually come your way....

    ReplyDelete