Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Lallazione Cards!

I've been thinking a lot about packaging. When you order something online, you don't get the sensory experience of walking into a shop -- how does it smell? what is the lighting like? is the inventory crowding the shop, or is it sparsely curated? is there music playing? So much satisfaction comes from browsing in person. With online shopping, you place the order, wait an agonizing few days for the mail, then, finally, its time to open your package. Is there anything more disappointing than a messily wrapped item?!

Its been neat, as a customer, to watch the packaging of small businesses, on the Etsy scale and just slightly larger, evolve over time. Branding is key -- the closest online shopping can come to the physical experience of walking into a store. Tags, cards, etc. are essential. I know that I also love when little branded extras are thrown in. It makes everything feel like a special gift. For example, I have been ordering from Texture Clothing for about three years now. Just this week I was delighted to pull out of the padded envelope not only the shirt I was waiting for, but a sweet little sticky-note sized pad of paper with the saying 'enjoy the process' on it! I know that my own shop's packaging will evolve over time.


Front and back view of my new cards!

Today my new mini-cards came, and I can't wait to use them. I ordered them through Moo last week during their Spring Sale, but even without the discount they are very affordable. I am planning them as little hang tags for when my items are for sale at the local Waldorf school's store, and eventually at their Christmas fair as well. I will use them for my etsy sales as part of the wrapping, tied with twine over crisp white tissue.


No comments:

Post a Comment